My First Blog ART F200X

    Hello everyone, my name is Art Fritz, and I am currently stationed at Misawa Air Base in Japan. I've been in the Pacific region since 2009, with assignments in South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, and Alaska. Recently, I celebrated twenty years of service as a Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Technician, and I am excited about the opportunities that await me after my upcoming retirement. I am married, and while we don't have children, our two lively Shiba Inu dogs keep us on our toes. I am genuinely looking forward to this class, reading everyone’s blogs, and gaining a deeper understanding of different perspectives and art.



Hand with reflecting sphere (no date) National Gallery of Art. Available at: https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.47949.html (Accessed: 24 May 2024).

    I have always had a love for art in all its forms—painting, photography, architecture, and sculpture. I enjoy taking the time to reflect on what might be going through the artist's mind, as each piece of art offers a glimpse into their perspective of the world. The image above is by M.C. Escher, an artist renowned for his self-portraits. My first thought was, "I wonder how long he held that sphere up?" Then I noticed the intricate details of his hand in contrast to the more abstract depiction of himself within the sphere.

    I used to really love sketching. In high school, I attended my school's vocational program for graphic design, which was one of the best experiences I ever had in school. It felt like I had found my place. My work there even earned me acceptance to the Illinois Institute of Art, but life had different plans for me. Nowadays, my main medium is photography, and I specialize in portraiture, landscape, and street photography.

    Please take a look at the following linked article below regarding how to look at abstract art. If you are a person not really into artwork, this may be a way to gain insight on ways to approach artwork.

Comments

  1. That's a good question - how long did a model work on holding that sphere? Maybe the artist used his own hand? That is a self-portrait of the artist. You'll have several opportunities in this class to discuss photography, should you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link on abstract art. I am that person not really into artwork and I never know what I am looking at, how to interpret it or what I am suppose to feel. Sometimes the information behind that piece does help, but sometimes the blue square is still just a blue square to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that you're a man that has lived many lives! I definitely like this type of art as well, I can't break it down but I respect the creativity!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scientific Discovery and Classical Art - An Exhibit

A Look into Renaissance Work