The Great Depression and its influence on Early Modern Art during the Great Depression

   I turn 43 next month, and I often reflect on my life and the people who have shaped me into the person I am today. My grandma Ruth has had the biggest impact on my life. The lessons she taught me have greatly influenced who I am. Those lessons have not only turned me into a man but also a gentleman.

    She was like a walking storybook. I would sit and listen to her stories, captivated by her musical pieces played on the organ in the second living room—a space reserved for entertaining guests. Born in 1922 in Maine to farmer parents, she was just a little girl when the Great Depression hit. She recounted how her family was fortunate to have crops to feed themselves. They worked tirelessly in the fields to ensure there was enough food for their table, to sell to the surrounding communities, and to price it fairly, as many people couldn't afford to buy produce due to the lack of work. Often, food was exchanged for help on the farm. While it didn't pay all the bills, the sense of community was paramount.

    She always preached that the keys to getting through life were faith in God, hard work, and taking care of your family. Being a gentleman to all walks of life, no matter who they are or where they come from, was paramount. Everyone deserves respect until they lose it, and even then, you should still treat them like a gentleman. These are the core principles that come to mind whenever I think of her. "Hard work" is the mantra I formed in my head when it comes to the Great Depression.

    In school, we were taught about the effects of the Great Depression not only on American society but on the world as a whole. My view of that era has never changed; its image is cemented in my mind. Pictures around my grandma's house still evoke those times. Although life may have been hard, times seemed simpler. There were no smartphones, no television, no internet. Entertainment came from using your imagination while listening to the radio or relatives telling stories and playing simple board or card games. Let's explore works that remind me of time spent with my grandma and perhaps give you a glimpse of what life was like for people during that time.


Charles Sheeler, Americana, 1931

    There may not be people in this painting, but as I mentioned earlier, this is how I imagine a household during the Great Depression. It exudes the pride of the typical American family dwelling. A long dinner table with a backgammon board that was recently played, simple yet well-built furniture, and rugs on the floor—all of different patterns, suggesting they took what they could get or perhaps the owner was a bit eccentric and wanted their house to stand out. To me, this symbolizes that Americans valued their homes and took care to protect their floors. They wanted to prevent damage and made the best of what they had. This happens to be Mr. Sheeler's house, painted based on a photo he took of his own home. He lived in New York and had very fine furniture. This painting is a great example of precisionism, with its abstract view of the living area, giving the impression that everything is being thrown at you.


Walker Evans, Floyd and Lucille Burroughs on Porch, Hale County, Alabama, 1936

    What would a blog post I write be without a photograph? I love photographs because they capture a moment that can never be exactly duplicated again. This photo encapsulates the struggle of the time—a father and his daughter posing on a porch after a long day of picking cotton in the fields. It is said that the daughter could haul 150 pounds of cotton a day. The father's shoes are likely so worn out that they no longer keep the dirt out. His face shows anger, but there's a deep-seated determination in his eyes. He doesn't want his daughter to dwell on their struggles, so he keeps a straight face while the picture is taken. My back aches just thinking about the amount of work this man put in. This was the life of the average American working man, whether in the fields, the mines, or on the railways. Everyone gave it their all. If this photo doesn't convey hard work, determination, pride, and caring for family, I don't know what will.




Grant Wood, Young Corn, 1931

    Now that we have seen a small part of the dark side of the times, let's look at something a little more positive and bright.

    Young Corn"epitomizes the Regionalism art style, especially in its depiction of rural Midwestern American life. Many families had to live off the land and farm, just like my grandma and her family did. What I truly love about this painting is its cartoonish style. Yes, life was hard, but looking at this piece, that hardship seems to fade away. It suggests that hard work wasn’t as grueling as it appeared, and if you did it, you were rewarded with food and a beautiful farm and home.

    Although my grandma's childhood farm was different, this painting captures the essence of what she described: working hard and knowing that other Americans were in the same situation, which made the work relatable and instilled a sense of pride in the accomplishments. This realization contributed to the sense of how great the country and its people are. The painting's flowy fields, sprouting crops, quaint house, and workers harvesting in the fields look and feel so smooth. It evokes a sense of tranquility and satisfaction. My grandma owned a print of this painting and proudly displayed it in her home.


    These prints in my grandma's home were reminders of a time that shaped her soul and purpose for living. She made sure her son and daughter were aware of these times, and that wisdom was passed on to me. She taught them how to navigate life by instilling basic gardening skills, preparing them for the possibility of hard times returning. As much as I felt bad for what she went through, I truly appreciate that she was able to share those experiences with me.  


American, C.S. (1970) Charles Sheeler: Americana, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Available at: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/486014 (Accessed: 24 July 2024).

Rudnick, A. (2023) The art of the Great Depression, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Available at: https://www.metmuseum.org/perspectives/articles/2023/9/the-art-of-the-great-depression (Accessed: 24 July 2024).

Gurney, T. (no date) Young corn, Young Corn by Grant Wood. Available at: https://www.thehistoryofart.org/grant-wood/young-corn/ (Accessed: 24 July 2024).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scientific Discovery and Classical Art - An Exhibit

My First Blog ART F200X

A Look into Renaissance Work